Graduated Medicine in Medical University of Plovdiv in 2015.
PhD Student in Department of Psychiatry and Pedical psychology in Medical Faculty, MU-Plovdiv since 2018.
Research topic: Studying the psychoneuroimmune mechanisms of depression and anxiety disorder.
Scientific interest in depression and anxiety with a focus on:
- finding novel biomarkers for improving diagnosis;
- the leaky gut syndrome and how it influence the depressive symptoms;
- cross-validation in psychiatry using neuroimaging techniques: fMRI, MRS
Projects in which Dr. Denitsa Simeonova-Pencheva, MD participates:
Depression is among the most common socially significant diseases.
The aim of the project is to refine the diagnosis of depression by building on studies on functional magnetic-resonance imaging (MRI), magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRI) and neuroimmunology, and by finding a ...
1. Maes M, Simeonova D, Stoyanov D, Leunis J (2019) Upregulation of the nitrosylome in bipolar disorder type 1 (BP1) and major depression, but not BP2: Increased IgM antibodies to nitrosylated conjugates are associated with indicants of leaky gut. Nitric Oxide 91:67–76. doi: 10.1016/J.NIOX.2019.07.003
2. Roomruangwong C, Simeonova DS, Stoyanov DS, et al (2018) Common Environmental Factors May Underpin the Comorbidity Between Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Mood Disorders Via Activated Nitrooxidative Pathways. Curr Top Med Chem 18:1621–1640. doi: 10.2174/1568026618666181115101625
3. Simeonova D, Ivanovska M, Murdjeva M, et al (2018) Recognizing the Leaky Gut as a Trans-diagnostic Target for Neuroimmune Disorders Using Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Immunology Assays. Curr Top Med Chem 18:1641–1655. doi: 10.2174/1568026618666181115100610
4. Simeonova D, Stoyanov D, Leunis JC, et al (2019) Increased Serum Immunoglobulin Responses to Gut Commensal Gram-Negative Bacteria in Unipolar Major Depression and Bipolar Disorder Type 1, Especially When Melancholia Is Present. Neurotox Res. doi: 10.1007/s12640-019-00126-7